Anxiety Drops Her Calling Card When You Don't Expect It

Day 3


If you tried to capture anxiety in a bottle, then would it be like lightning? We know that anxiety can make humans have emotional instability in their minds and bodies. We’re left to ponder how her calling card affects human beings.


Now let me say something before going on. I have dealt with anxiety for most of my life. God knows I wish it were not true. Yet recent readings that I have gone head-first into learning more about trauma and its effects on people leave me with no other conclusion.


Anxiety can feel like an extreme force of life pouring through veins and arteries. It can leave me in a perplexed state. Like it might happen in the calmest of environments. After the storm passes, I end up asking (to myself), “What the hell just happened?”


This constant state of anxiety can just leave me feeling drained. Ever wake up in the morning and feel like you want to go back to bed? Yeah. I know that feeling.


We look at people who are calm, rational, and reasonable most of the time. But give them something to stimulate their inner worlds, whether it’s bad news, bad sports, bad attitudes, you name it, then nervous energy takes over their physical sensations.


You probably can see a group of humans from a distance. If they all look downward to the ground, then they might be just nervous as hell. Little kids can show this behavior, too. Look and watch how they interact with kids raised in a healthy environment. Now, this leads me to another question: Is there such a thing as a healthy home environment? I’m asking for about a million or so people who just want to get through every day.


You Do Not Deal With Anxiety Like Other Ailments


Look, you don’t deal with anxiety. I know, I know. Your home life was just beautiful. Everyone just loved each other deeply and showed rad respect to everyone. Uh-huh. Tell me again about that great home life. Go on with your bad self. I’m waiting.


Yeah, I gotta get along here. 


Anxious, nervous twitches can drive me nuts. It usually happens when I first lie down at night. There are times when it doesn’t happen. Most nights, though, I have to twist and shout (not shouting really, but there probably are some who do) and settle down. Once I am settled, though, the anxiety wears down.


Oh, going back to something I mentioned in Day 2. Medication keeps me balanced. I realize many people want to scold me, tell me I am doing something against the laws of nature and whatnot. Walk in my shoes for a period of time, pal. This stuff keeps me grounded most of the time. I get wigged out at times. Medication helps but those wigged-out occasions hit once in 100 years.


But people have to learn how to deal with their anxiety. I get it. I’m still learning all these years later. One thing I have been understanding about myself is that trauma has set my own body and soul up to mess up.


Would Leaving Social Media Alone Help Us In Fighting Anxiety?


If we all could have peaceful lives, then would we have a need for social media? Ack, stepped on a sore spot. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and on and on it goes. We’re information-hungry souls looking for a justification and validation about our lives. Can this celebrity or well-known business person please tell me that I am OK? Do you need to hear from Dr. Phil, Dr. Ruth, Dr. Oz, and Dr. Doolittle to make it alright into the next day’s dawn?


The doctor is in and, actually, can help you. Not those cats. There are people in the medical field who do study human behavior, reactions, and responses to different stimuli. Do not take your eyes off the power of trauma. Here’s a book suggestion that you can take or leave. Dr. Bessel Van Der Kolk wrote, “The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind, and Body In The Healing Of Trauma.” It’s a hell of a read, offering both human experiences and scientific findings on the power of trauma.


Science! I swear, don’t throw out science when it comes to anxiety and trauma. You will shortchange yourself if you do this. Please. Give yourself the gift of reading when it comes to dealing with these areas in your soul. Highly recommended, Dr. Van Der Kolk has worked with many adults and children. The findings in this book can definitely lead you and I in a direction of healing, wholeness, and love for those damaged parts in our hearts.


“I am not damaged,” someone says. “I am washed in the blood of Jesus.” Sure. OK. I love Jesus, too, but this ain’t about spirituality...right now. I will cover that in another article. Right now, we’re talking about anxiety, trauma, and all that stuff. 


Let’s Say It Together: You Are Not Defective 


Who told you that you were defective? Did that message come from parents, family members or, well, other organizations or groups? Let me lay something on you, my brothers and sisters. You are not defective. There are problems in society today. Look around and you can spot them in that person and that person and, yeah, him too.


Anxiety will almost lie to you. It’ll make you feel like you’re going to crawl around in your body and find a pothole to dive into right now. What you and I need is some love, compassion, empathy, and strategies that help us chill out.


I highly suggest you find a book or meditation recording to listen to on a regular basis. The power of meditation is well-known by clinicians and those who are proficient in the alternative medicine fields. Meditation is not a religious thing, OK. It is not. Religions use it and do so effectively. But if you simply sit down, close your eyes, and observe your breath, then you’ll be on a good start toward learning about the power of meditation.


Working to improve your health, both mentally and emotionally, may take some time. If you are someone who has never spent time in self-reflection, then give yourself some grace, friend. We all need some time to keep ourselves in good shape.


Did you know that you don’t have to do everything by yourself? I still get on the wheel of constantly having to fix, fix, fix it all alone. Who else is going to help me? Um, there are people willing to help. Will I let them? Or will my anxiety drive me to drive them nuts?


We all can slow down and breathe deeply. Take some time when you can turn your phone off. Sit down, close your eyes, and observe your breathing. Breathe deeply and then exhale it through your mouth. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Slowly at some intervals, then regular breathing at other intervals.


I am no guru or master meditation dude. These are some things I have heard from others who are more adept at it than me. I’m just passing along the advice. 


Maybe doing this will help us all not be so hung up with anxiety. I hope you will give this a try. If you need more help, then reach out and get it. You are worth it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disconnect From Things That Hurt You

Nerves Of Steel? Not Me Because I'm No Superman

The Terrible Triggers of a Troubled Man